Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week Four: Second Opinion

My first thought about Samyang Beef Flavored Ramen, with its complementary vegetables and zesty-red hue, was that it closely resembles the kimchi flavored ramen we reviewed the first week. That may be due to the fact that the kimchi flavored ramen hails from the same Samyang brand.

I agree with Daniel that Samyang Beef Flavored Ramen has good quality ramen noodles. The plumper noodles were a nice change from last weeks thinner cup of noodle style noodles. I thought it was funny how Daniel also questioned how much beef is actually in the broth... I found that that while the beef broth is definitely present, it lacks the more wholesome beefy flavor that I've experienced with other ramen that I've bought from the local Safeway. Perhaps the beef flavor is inhibited by the other spices that give the ramen that little extra pep that isn't found in other beef flavored ramen.

Overall, the noodles were excellent and the broth was good, but I think Samyang can do better. I'm sure there are some things they could do to beef up their broth (pun intended). I respect Samyang Beef Flavored ramen in its attempt to strive past the traditional beef flavored ramen, but in this case they may have strayed a little too far. Great if you're looking for ramen, not so great if you're looking specifically for beef flavored ramen.

4 out 5 chopsticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment